Monday, May 10, 2010

Summer Goals

The semester (and my career as an undergrad) is quickly coming to an end. I'm hoping to make lots of prints this summer though, and hopefully take some printmaking classes in the fall if I have time.

Some specific projects I want to complete this summer:
-Two-color gocco prints
-Complete stationary sets (right now I have a bunch of cards printed but no envelopes...need to remedy that!)
-Small hand drawn/printed books--possibly small linocuts.
-SCREEN PRINTING! I really want to get a legit exposure unit set-up and calibrated so I can create screens with the photo emulsion technique.

This summer I'll be working as a Residential Advisor at the Center for Creative Youth at Wesleyan University. I'm looking forward to it, and am hoping to conduct a screen printing workshop for the students. So, before that all begins at the end of June, I'm going to design an image to use in the workshop. Actually creating a screen during a workshop would be a bit too time-consuming I think, so I'm planning on creating the screen ahead of time, then explaining the process during the workshop and letting the students print on their own shirts/bandannas/what ever using the pre-made screen. I'll have my supplies there, so if a few students are really interested in creating their own screens, I can always work with them independently after the workshop.

Part of what I'm looking forward to at CCY is a potential break-through regarding my feelings toward teaching. I've only had experience teaching my peers, so teaching high school students should be an interesting (hopefully enjoyable) challenge. I know I'll be returning to school in the next year or two. But first I need to figure out what I really want to do.

1 comment:

  1. I really hope that you do figure out what you want to do. I know you've said in the past that you don't think you would have the patience to teach. I think you were probably thinking of the types of students that go to a public high school. The kids you'll be teaching are dedicated to the pursuit of education and will be spending their summer going to CCY instead of trips to Florida and crazy drinking parties. I think you will enjoy teaching them.

    As for your goals in creating the prints and stationary... I am here to support you. I think I could even make envelopes for you. (Envelopes that are blank that you can then print on.) I could at least try. You're super smart. Keep up the awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete