Sunday, April 18, 2010

I'm a cat, I'm a kitty cat...

CAAATS! Below is the first proof of my multi-plate color print.



This print is of the first plate, which will end up holding just about all the linework and will serve as the key plate. There are two other plates: one that will primarily consist of aquatint (and spitbite), and the other with the letters that will be at the top (see previous post with sketches). Obviously the idea has changed slightly, but the general layout is the same. Today I did some more etching to add the swirly lines in the background (which are also in my previously posted sketches). I did a more complete drawing of the current layout, but haven't had a chance to scan it.

I haven't used spitbite on any of my plates before, so I decided it might be a good idea to test it out first on a small plate. I doodled up the little guy below and added spitbite to the shadow after biting the linework. There is also a little bit of spitbite in the upper sky part of the image.



Isn't he cute? And hypnotic?

2 comments:

  1. THESE WILL SELL LIKE HOT CAKES.

    Looking gooooood <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I think I'm going to cut off the corners and make it more oval-shaped.

    ReplyDelete